Whether your passion is music, film, pop culture, or you just enjoy some family fun, there’s a festival in Calgary for you.
Sled Island Music and Arts Festival
Over 250 bands, comedians, artists, and filmmakers come together in this five-day festival. This year’s festivities take place June 21-25.
- Events span over 35 different venues and feature performances by hundreds of musicians, screenings by independent filmmakers, hilarious comedy shows, and visual art programming sponsored by the Alberta College of Art + Design.
- Festival-goers can also attend special events such as Wrap-Up Karaoke and the All-Ages Rock ‘n’ Roller Derby.
Get your creative juices flowing and be inspired by this festival that was voted one of the top 10 music festivals in Canada by listeners of CBC Radio 3. https://www.sledisland.com/
This ten-day festival (July 7-16, 2017) is a celebration of western heritage and culture. With a daily rodeo, concerts, and food for every taste, there’s something for everyone at the Calgary Stampede.
- The festival kicks off with the Calgary Stampede Parade, featuring more than 150 western-themed entries.
- Once inside the festival, visit the Stampede Midway, which offers exciting rides for those seeking an adrenaline rush as well as fun rides for kids and games for those who want to test their skills.
- The daily rodeo showcases the skills and talents of the best competitors and animals in the world in events such as barrel racing, tie-down roping, and junior steer riding.
- Catch a concert from world-class musicians. Headliners in 2017 include Alessia Cara, the Strumbellas, and Meghan Patrick.
If somehow those attractions aren’t enough, there’s also shopping to do, food to eat, and a Western Oasis to visit if you want to relax a bit. http://www.calgarystampede.com/stampede
Sunfest is a great summer festival for families. It offers activities for attendees of all ages, and it’s free! This year’s fest will be on August 5th and will feature vendors of all types, from food trucks and retail businesses to non-profit organizations. There’ll be plenty of things to shop for, but also lots to see and hear, as performers of all types roam around the festival. https://inglewoodsunfest.ca/
Other festivals in Calgary include: the Calgary International Blues Festival (July 25-31), Calgary Reggae Festival Society (August 17-19), Fiestaval (July 21-23), and Calgary Pride (August 25 – September 4). Past festivals of note are the Lilac Festival (in June), Calgary International Children’s Festival (in May), Calgary Comic & Entertainment Expo (in April), and The Big Taste Foodie Festival (in March).